Does anyone dye their own ribbon, this is something I would like to do - suggest best dyes

Linda

Views: 573

Replies to This Discussion

Can you tell me where to purchase the Tsukineko inks. Do you feel these work well with the ribbon and how do you set the color?

Thanks

Susie

Lynne said:

I used to dye my silk ribbon with procion when I was doing a lot of dyeing. Procion is a fiber-reactive dye - the dye actually reacts with the fibers and becomes part of them. But now I seem to dye ribbon for just one project, so I use Jacquard's DyNaFlow or Tsukineko inks. You just paint it on and iron it to set the color.

RIT is probably perfect for costuming, since costumes are used rather short-term, but I thought it had a reputation of not being very colorfast. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time embroidering with dyed ribbon and then have the colors fade.... Perhaps my impression of RIT is out of date, I'm not sure....

~Lin Moon

Susie,

I've never dyed ribbon but did find a source for the Tsukineko inks for fabric at Sew Thankful: http://www.sewthankful.com/TsukinekoInks.html  Then I ran across a blog where she discusses using these inks too and thought you might be interested in her experience: http://judyperez.blogspot.com/2009/09/tsukineko-inks-with-ink-potio...

Hope this helps :)

Di

Thank you .This was very helpful.I'll try to find any alternatives as I don't find this stuff here in Egypt and I am going to have to buy online or so .To till the truth this is very expensive for me

sharonb said:
I do I use procion dyes. I just add silk ribbon to a pile of stuff I dye with procions. I dye threads (cotton, silk, rayon, wool) lace, and things like doylies, old hankies, wood and shell buttons and what ever else around that looks as if it is of natural fiber and will take the dye. All get dyed to incorporate in crazy quilting projects.

A very quick way of dyeing ribbon is to get a dye based ink pad used for rubber stamping. Clamp the ribbon with the lid on and pull the ribbon through. This creates interesting variegations, and I have found it to be colourfast. I don't know how much washing this will withstand because I've only ever used it on cards. 

Stazon is a very juicy pad, and gave too much saturation for my liking. I don't know if Whispers ink pads are available in the USA?  They are on a sponge pad rather than a textile one such as Stazon.

I use Seta Color paints for my sun prints and for painting fabrics and items that are not natural fibers.  If you dilute the paint 1:1 with water, the paint will NOT change the ahnd of the fabrics and the colors are vibrant.  If you dilute the paint even more, say one part paint to 4 parts water, and paint on cloth that is already wet with water, you can achieve very subtle smudges of color as well as very cool watercolor like paint effects.  I love the Seta Color transparent paints (available from Dharma Trading Co in CA) as they are wonderful for so many different applications!

Cat Allard said:

I paint fabric with Seta color paint. I can embroider on it but it's stiffer and not as easy to work with. If the paint was thick, I think it would shread the ribbon, but it you kept is watered down and washed the fabric after it was heat set, I think it might work.

Mary Furman said:
How about painting fabrics for SRE? I'd like just soft smudges to enhance the colors of the SRE added on top. What would you use for that procedure?

I've just started experimenting with Seta colours and have found that thinning the paint and not painting too much on works well. The colours are lovely too. I ordered a starter pack from dharma for about $30 (from memory) which is great because here they cost $10 per bottle so the saving is huge.

RSS

Translate this site

Site Sponsors

Online Quilting Classes

© 2014   Created by Mary Corbet.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service