As a follow on from Sharon's question about lurkers. I'd like to ask

"Is it acceptable to read the comments left on another members page, and even to jump in on a conversation between two members, or is that eavesdropping?"

CA

Views: 393

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah ha - a version of the "stone soup" tale.
Anyone who knows me would nod when I say I love that story - the idea of everyone pitching in a little for the greater good has always appealed to the idealist in me.
I have found the Stitching Fingers members to be friendly and helpful, so I think to drop into a conversation would be acceptable and not taken as eavesdropping. Sometimes adding your twopennyworth can solve a problem or inspire.

Oh, the Stone soup story was in my school reader back in the mist of time.
I love that story

MichelleMermaid said:
Ah, it's an old story about a woman during wartime who has nothing, but invites her neighbors over for button soup. They are in disbelief that she can make soup with only a button but are impressed with her generosity of spirit. Each neighbor has their own meager stash of provisions that don't add up to much alone, but, one by one, each person brings something to put into the soup pot...a potato, a carrot, an onion...and with everyone participating the woman and her neighbors discover they have, magically, made button soup.

In other words, we all contribute something and are each a part of making this community a success and a fun place to be. Why not add what you have to offer?

Goodmorning everyone, 

My name is Marie and I joined in Dec 2010 I guess. LOL I am a bit excited to be here. Thank you so much for accepting my request to join. I am really looking forward to getting to know you and learn wonderful things with you. I am not new to needle crafts although I have done some, am by no means an expert of any. I have done quilting, knitting, beading and embroidery is my favourite to this point at least. I have also done other crafts although they may not belong here so I won't mention them. Here is a photo of some of my beading on a bracelet, simple but rewarding for me. I still have much to

learn. Hope you all have a peaceful day . 

this is not a evesdropping. Its ment for communication. sharing and learning is what this site is for.

MichelleMermaid said:

Ah, it's an old story about a woman during wartime who has nothing, but invites her neighbors over for button soup. They are in disbelief that she can make soup with only a button but are impressed with her generosity of spirit. Each neighbor has their own meager stash of provisions that don't add up to much alone, but, one by one, each person brings something to put into the soup pot...a potato, a carrot, an onion...and with everyone participating the woman and her neighbors discover they have, magically, made button soup.

In other words, we all contribute something and are each a part of making this community a success and a fun place to be. Why not add what you have to offer?

I agree totally with you Michelle we all do have something to add to make this a wonderful place. I love stitching fingers because of all everyone has to  offer. Advice friendship and a lot in common.

I just love all the comments that everyone has  made.  Button soup story fits this perfect. We all have something to add to this wonderful place. And it keeps stitching alive. All of us learning from each other is the best part of it all.

Ah, I know that story as Stone Soup. Same idea. When I was a Girl Scout leader a very long time ago we actually had a couple of meetings where we made stone soup, everyone brought something and the hostess provided a nice clean rock (with a string tied around it to fish it out), a big pot of water, and bowls and spoons and bread. It was always good and always different.

I thought I'd just jump in here and say I'm new and haven't really had a chance to explore everything, so I'm looking around to see what is most closely aligned with the type of things I do. The quality of work pictured is very high and I'm really impressed with what I've seen and read so far. If that's not OK, I'll go quietly, but it seems sort of silly to post on a pretty much public forum and then be surprised if someone else reads what you wrote and comments. (I'm thinking of how Ravelry works.) 

MichelleMermaid said:

I am also new to this site, and sometimes feel like I would be intruding if I wanted to comment on someone elses conversation. I am so pleased to have read all of the previous comments as it has made the situation very clear, and I will be happy to "intrude" whilst sitting around the table. (I love that concept). I do feel a little uncomfortable looking at a profile page, but from now on I know it is acceptable, and that I can leave a private message if I want. I love being able to participate and offer comments, and share projects with others. So glad I found this site. And still finding little pockets inside. Thank you all.

RSS

Translate this site

Site Sponsors

Online Quilting Classes

© 2014   Created by Mary Corbet.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service